Friday, January 4, 2013

Notes From The Foot Whisperer - Reaching That Runner's High

Well, today I ventured into single digit temperatures to get my morning run in. And aside from the occasional stare from passers-by, I quickly placed myself in that warm, sun-filled world in my head. I don’t know for sure. But I’ve heard often times that the pace of a run can get you into a “runner’s high.” And I’ve experienced it many times while running. Although lately it hasn’t happened nearly as often.

The mind is powerful. And the power of suggestion can take you across the finish line! I know that from first hand experience. Running my first marathon seemed unapproachable. But training helps get the mind used to the miles. And on that day, all seemed well until I hit the 18-mile mark. It was then that this dependable training tool, the mind, started playing tricks on me! I remember telling myself, “18 miles! I still have 8 miles to go!” Panic mode! Somehow, I forced myself across the finish line.

Fast forward six years to marathon number two. I felt the same through every phase and every mile. Until I reached the infamous 18-mile mark. But something quite unexpected occurred. In my mind, instead of still having 8 miles to go, I only had 8 miles to go. It carried me across the finish line as if I had wings!

Let your mind work for you, not against you!

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment