Sunday, January 20, 2013

Notes From The Foot Whisperer: Angel vs. Devil

Here I am at the computer composing my second edition of 2013. It’s mid-January, and I opened the door to let in some warm air. What??! Yep, that’s right. Springtime in January. What a fantastic day to run! And yours truly didn’t get my long run in yesterday with the run group. So I made a point of getting up extra early, putting on all of my high visibility clothing and lights, and heading out the door for a long run. In 60 degrees!

Now admittedly, I am a “Penguin” (ala John Bingham). I’m all about enjoying the run. If I can push it a bit up hills, or on a ladder training, all the better. But today was all about enjoying the run and my surroundings. At 7:00 am on a Sunday, there isn’t a car in sight. And so I had an extra bonus of being able to listen to the birds chirp, and the snow-melt swollen streams ripple. Time to get a 90 minute run in before heading to the store. An hour into my run, and I felt great! Another 20 minutes later, and I felt even better! Time to let my intuition get the best of me, and add more miles than I planned. After all, everything was fine. And I felt fantastic. That little devil was telling me to throw common sense to the wind, and continue the run. While the more rationale section of my brain said, “Whoa! No more than 10% increase in mileage per week!”

Darn! Common sense won the argument, and I retired to the showers having gotten a grand early morning workout under my belt. One of these days, I’m going to listen to that little devil!

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment