Friday, November 15, 2013

Notes From The Foot Whisperer: Cold Weather is Fast Approaching.

Well, the leaves are almost all on the ground. And the days are definitely getting shorter. And although yours truly gets goofy from Seasonal Affective Disorder and cabin fever, it is a time for me to start building up my base miles for the Spring running season. I signed up for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon which takes place this May. So my training begins!

The colder season is a nice time to run, provided you have the proper gear. My cold weather training gear consists of a good cap, preferably something to cover the ears. And in winter I like to wear my “Elmer Fudd” water-proof cap with a bill and ear covering. Keeps all of the elements out! To keep my core warm and comfortable, I wear the Mizuno Breath Thermo half zip with a visible outer wind-breaking jacket. Although many people like the form-fitting running tights, I prefer the baggy wind-proof/water-proof running pant. Generally, the Asics Storm Shelter. It’s a throw back from my days running for Penn Hills High School. And it keeps a warm layer of air between my legs and the outside. Through most of the season, except the coldest days, I wear just a half cotton/half polyester official Up-N-Running glove. We’ve got plenty at the store. I like a Merino Wool crew length sock or in colder weather, the Mizuno Breath Thermo which now comes in both quarter length and crew length. And this year, I am trying something new for running shoes. Over the many years that I have run, I have always worn a regular breathable mesh running shoe (My favorite is the Saucony Power Grid Hurricane). My theory was that I needed something breathable to help the moisture evaporate as wet feet do tend to freeze quicker. This year, I am trying one of many different Gore Tex shoes. Gore Tex has the ability to filter out the water molecules from your body without allowing any moisture to get in. And although many Gore Tex running shoes have trail outsoles, I prefer the road, and so I am using the Brooks Ghost GTX. I’ll report on its effectiveness.

Okay, now that that’s done, it’s time to get my butt out the door and running!!! See you on the road or trail!


Elmer Fudd Hat


Breath Thermo Half Zip


Reflective High Visibility Outer Shell


Storm Shelter Pant


Breathable Socks


Ghost GTX Shoe

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment