Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Notes From The Foot Whisperer - Time Changes The Way I View Running

As I approach the beginning of my 60’s, I find my running prowess to be waning slightly. I no longer look at who my age group competition may be. Instead I seek them out for the pre-race or post-race advice and camaraderie. My goals of beating my old times are replaced by goals of trying new races in different cities and towns. And just being able to run and enjoy my surroundings. I find that I don’t run up the hills with the vigor I had when I was in my 40’s. And sometimes, I walk the hills and listen to the birds chirp instead of my gasping for air! One of my favorite runs these days is with my dog, Lazlo (Actually, he isn’t my dog. I’m his human!). We run the beautiful mountain ridges of Bedford County. And I keep track of the local flora and fauna that I see.

Has my running gotten better? Not really. My times are slower. And anymore, I chicken out of the big races. But I would say that what I lost in speed, I gained in shear joy! And I still have my challenges.

Next year, I plan on running my fifth Pittsburgh Marathon to celebrate my 60th birthday (And as usual, running for my favorite charity, The Alzheimer‘s Association!). I am also planning on running in the Dublin Marathon in October of that year. Neither will be all that fast. But I guarantee you, I will cherish every “agonizing” minute!!

Pleasant running to you all!

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment