Monday, April 23, 2012

Follow Shelly To Her First Half Marathon Part IV

We've been following Shelly as she trains to run her first half marathon in Pittsburgh in a couple weeks. This is her last post before the actual race. GOOD LUCK SHELLY!!!

Two weeks to go . . . where did the time go?

I can't believe it is already April 21st . . . and only two weeks until the BIG day!!!! This past Wednesday I ran 11 miles in a fairly hilly terrain in just over two hours in my last long run before tapering off in the final two weeks. I felt strong throughout the run. However, at the end of the run, I felt like I could not run another 2.1 miles, and I am very nervous and scared for Sunday, May 6th (where 13.1 long, hard miles awaits)! I have overcome so many obstacles in my training this past year, from plantar fasciitis to peroneal tendonitis to a torn calf (not to mention the difficulties that running as a diabetic entails); and I am scared that I might not meet my goal of finishing the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.

Also, my shoes are definitely worn out. I felt pain in the balls of my feet in the 11 mile run, so I am not sure what to do about breaking in new shoes. I did buy a new pair of running shoes today (I have been training in Brooks Adrenaline GTS11's, and I just bought Brooks Adrenaline GTS12's). My plan is to stop wearing my worn out shoes and try to break in the new shoes over the next two weeks. If, on race day, I don't feel the new shoes are adequately broken in, I will run in the old shoes. However, I am not sure what the best plan is here. Any advice from more seasoned runners would be welcomed.

. . . and any encouraging/motivating words are always appreciated! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Shelly, you will be great and of course you will finish. You will run at whatever pace you feel comfortable and it will be YOUR race. I ran my first half marathon at age 57 at Virginia Beach. It was pretty flat but it was really hot. I walked the water stations and once or twice throughout the race for little bits. Actually, I drank too much and at mile 11 or 12, I felt nauseated so I quit drinking and then I was fine - when I saw the finish line I broke into a sprint - it was great! You will be amazed at how much the other runners and the race atmosphere will carry you along. Have fun and enjoy your accomplishment

    ReplyDelete