Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Notes From The Foot Whisperer - One of the Gifts that Running Gives

I went for a run the other day. It was a beautiful, sunny morning around 50 degrees, with little wind. And I found out it was just the prescription for yours truly! It seems I had a lot on my mind. Some good. And others quite tragic. But I’ve found, through my running, peace, solace, and direction. What a great way to clear the clutter that periodically builds up in one’s head! While out there with the road under my feet, and the blue sky overhead, I was not annoyed by phone calls, the Morning News, or the thought of the day’s responsibilities. Instead I concentrated on the rhythm of my breathing and foot strikes. And I focused on the task at hand: how to say good bye to my sister. Denise was tragically taken from us in an auto-related accident while on vacation. And I had the unenviable task of providing a post-funeral eulogy to friends and family. How do I put into words, the feelings about a person I have known literally my entire life?

I decided to go for a run. It all came together! What a tremendous gift we all share as runners! I will always cherish the time I spent with my siblings. And I will likewise take pleasure in every one of my runs. Both solitary and with others!

Thank you all for that gift!

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment