Saturday, November 10, 2012

Notes from the Foot Whisperer - Nothing Like a Trail Run

Anyone for a trail run? The leaves are down. The weeds and bugs have disappeared. And the weather has turned brisk. Perfect for a nice quick run through the woods of Western Pennsylvania! Yours Truly has spent so much time on the roads, sometimes you forget just how different a nice trail run can be. I recall when Lazlo and I went on a trail run in the mountains of the south central part of the state, the first thing I noticed was how much more aware I was of my surroundings. You have to, out of necessity. On a road, it’s just eyes ahead, and maybe every so often, dodge a pot hole. With the trail, not only do you have to be aware of the surface with its rocks, logs, streams, etc., but you also have to watch for the occasional branch sticking out in front of your face. It is invigorating! I literally feel stronger as I run longer.

Now this particular part of the trail for me is the most exciting. I get to run on part of the original Forbes Road! What a neat feeling to know that your steps are following the same steps that George Washington took when he was with the British army crossing the Alleghenies! Go out for a trail run and open all of your senses!!

~Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment